Tuesday, September 06, 2005

School is in!

Phew, just dropped the kids off at school for day 2. Day 1 seems to have gone well. The school has a great variety of climbers and ropes and things painted on the pavement, so there is lots to do at recess, which is all that counts to some people! I have to call the school caterers to ask about nuts in the lunches. Elaine is adamant that she wants to take a lunch, but offers no ideas about what she will actually eat, and Arthur really wants the hot meals. So we shall see. I went all over town looking for a cheap little thermos to put mac and cheese in to take, but all I found were big things for taking your day's tea, or very expensive (£17 for a thermos!?). Today I shopped for gym clothes -- how many 5-year-olds have a plain white shirt in their wardrobe?

On the weekend we went to a farm nearby (note to self: always check a bus schedule before heading out on a Sunday!) where they had what they call a maize maze. It was blazing hot, but we made our way through the maze (with the help of a map, for the most part) and put our names in for some prize or other. Then when we got home, after our hard day's work in the field, we went to a pub for dinner. This one only served food after 6:30 and there was a sign in the beer garden that said that children were welcome till 7 pm. Not on our list for a second visit! The food was fine, but it was a tad chi-chi for us.

I'm writing this on the new computer, and the picture business is still not up and running. I'll tell you that I neglected to take a picture of the kids starting school, bad mommy, and I would love to show you a picture of the corn maze: Imagine you and your children are surrounded by corn as high as an elephant's eye. A sign up ahead says "Fire Exit" and points... dead ahead, into the corn! I'm glad we didn't have to test that out...

I put a few links in the sidebar. The top one is my husband's work page. That was our experiment in HTML. The others are all knitting blogs, an incomplete list of my favourites. More to come...

And since I've started to get spam comments, I've put in a thing where you have to type in some letters you see in order to post a comment. Not a hardship, and youse guys aren't commenting much anyways! This way I'll know that an actual person sent me something!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.