Thursday, December 29, 2005

More snow pictures

Like a good Cambridge photographer, I went out in the cold to get those romantic shots of favourite sites in the arty snow.
I want to make a hat on a circular needle and, despite the fact that I have a gajillion needles, I don't seem to have a short circ in the right size, so the route we took led to the yarn shop, past this Victorian pillar box. Too bad it was on the shady side of the street, but at least the snow hadn't melted out of the little lines!
The first place we checked didn't have the right needle, and although I had a gift certificate there, I didn't feel quite ready to commit to any yarn just then, so we moved on to the other place in town to get a knitting needle.
We passed this Elizabeth II space-pod pillar box, with just a bit of snow on top. It's streamlined, see, so no little niches to catch the snow. And facing the wrong way to catch snow on the gigantic cipher!
Onward to the post office, where I had to mail our absentee ballots for the upcoming Canadian election. And there we found this little pillar box, which really is a box on a pillar, and not a box shaped like a pillar, so I don't know if it has a special name!
The post office is near Robert Sayle, which, as I breathlessly announced yesterday, was having a sale. I found the right kind of needle, and then just had to pass the big bin of half-price wool. I got 3 skeins of Debbie Bliss Maya, two green variegated and one all pale blue and grey and misty, pearly coloured. I imagine a buttonhole bag, when I get back to my nice washing machine!
Also I snagged all the poopedy green Merino Chunky, which should make a nice vest for me, but probably not a full sweater with sleeves. I got a few balls of other colours, too, some grey, a dark green and a black. And Arthur, fun-loving guy that he is, chose some Rowan Cotton Tape in bright orange!
Stephen did ask if this yarn purchasing was reasonable, given the limited time we are staying here, as he doesn't want to transport "surplus" wool home. I pointed out that there is no such thing as surplus wool. I don't think he was convinced...
On the way home we came down onto Midsummer Common, and saw these valiant souls trying to sled, in an inch of snow on a 10-foot slope. Remember a few Winter Olympics ago, there was a British ski jumper? It's no wonder people laughed, if he got his start like this....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.