Thursday, March 01, 2007

It's snowing again


You wouldn't think a little snow would be so noteworthy at this time of year, here in Toronto. But this is a lot of snow, all at once, and just at coming-home time. I quickly dug out the sidewalk and went off with the sled to get the kids at school, and when we got back, the sidewalk was again under several inches. Since we haven't got around to taking down our Xmas lights, we turn them on in the snow, to melt little pits!

Tomorrow, as part of Freedom to Read week, I am reading something or other to my kids' classes at school. I wanted to read something they wouldn't otherwise hear, and I have letters written by my grandfather on his way to WWI; I have the story of my dad and the oranges in the Milan train station in 1965 (it's a classic, involving the train starting out of the station without him); and I have a story of smuggling jewels through Nazi border points in 1938. But, I think I might just read Katy and the Big Snow, and something from Winter Holiday. If we can dig ourselves out in the morning...

Oh, and I'll tell you about my sock yarn from the previous post. It's Regia, Canadian Color, number 4737. Lovely! I got it at the Mary Maxim store at Yonge and Eglinton when it first opened.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always delighted when I come across another person who has read Arthur Ransome. His were my favourite books when I was growing up. I should pull them out of my parents' basement and give them another read soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the deleted comment. For some reason the original was posted twice.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.