Wednesday, February 06, 2008

What should Mary knit this time?

I kind of hate to even discuss this, since I still can't knit, so can't show you a swatch or anything! Perhaps it will all come to naught. But, heck.

This is my Felted Tweed.


I want to make a sweater. I don't especially love that purple; it just happened that I bought a bag of three on sale, and... so, I have lots of it. Also not sure why I have three of the grey! The one that looks red is a lovely rust colour.

But, to the point, what shall this sweater of mine look like?

I could round up a few more colours and make something like this:

(from Kaffe Fassett's Glorious Knitting, Zigzag,
"a quick and easy two-colours-a-row design" )

or I could make a multicolour masterpiece with some of these:

(mosaics by Barbara Walker)

or, I could just make horizontal stripes and turn them on their sides.

(from an ancient Vogue Knitting magazine, Winter, 92-93)

I am leaning toward the final one, but I feel this is the easy way out. I know what it'll look like when I am done, for one thing! I don't really have enough colours to do the Kaffe properly, and if I were to pick a mosaic or 10, who knows what trouble I could get into? Should I be more bold? Should I just make a big wrap out of my single balls and make a one-colour cardigan? (No, I should not!)

And there's always this, another VK treat, from Fall 1992:


I just wonder if I would have the fortitude to do the embroidery, and need I say, I didn't set out to have a sweater with lots of embroidery? But it takes care of the colour situation; it does look good; it's got that cool collar... And I think it would look silly without the embroidery. It's supposed to be patchwork-y, get it?

But wait, just over the page is this one:

I could get a few more balls of one of the greens for the main body, and it would be fun to knit, and I wouldn't put any angora in the bottom stripes, and I would likely sew the side seams up all the way to the bottom. I wish they hadn't shown it in black -- it's taken me 17 years to realise the top part was textured. Hmm.

Well, this has been very helpful... It's clear I have no idea what to do.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I'd vote for the Kaffe zigzag, if you've enough of each colour for them to balance (but then I have a very long standing love affair with 'Glorious Knitting'), or the embroidered offering from VK - but that's what *I'd* knit, not necessarily you! ;) Have fun choosing, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sdieways stripes. Alternatively, have you thought about knitting with two strands together and playing with colour blends. It would be a very heavy fabric but fascinating to experiment with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I would do if I had a pile of Felted Tweed:

    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fyne-vest

    I seem to recall there is a tunic version too. I have the mag if you want to have a look.

    When I was looking for that, I found:

    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hickory

    (I think I have that mag too)

    Out of the choices you gave, I like the sideways one best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of the options you have presented i would be going for the last vogue one. I think it would look fab on you! Again, this is just my humble opinion, but i hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.