Sunday, May 04, 2008

What I did this weekend


I finished knitting the baby blanket.

I didn't really finish the baby blanket.


There is still some work to be done!

My teeny bit of advice to anyone wishing to attempt something like this is: have something in mind to copy. When my knitted piece had to have more stripes than the bit I was imitating, I had to stop and think about shaping and size and how and where to slant the piece... Since I was copying someone else's creative genius, I didn't like having to come up with, you know, my own ideas! Of course, my slants and shapes are not always like the original, but it's good to have something to deviate from, as well!

I had this book, and was looking at this quilt, part of which is on the cover of the book:


It's an indoor flash picture of the open book, so the whole thing is wretchedly distorted here. I would stay away from trying to knit the bottom right corner, but the rest lends itself marvellously to the whole short-row wonky-square knitting. And of course, the short-row tutorial by nona is indispensable, as well!

And then I had a party.


Quiz: Did I make this salad, or did someone else?

5 comments:

  1. Your baby blanket turned out absolutely gorgeous Mary. Yes, you have hours of weaving ends to do, but it really is a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - it turned out beautifully - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a sneaky feeling that the beautiful salad was made by one or both of your children. The colour combo is very 'Arthur', but he wasn't displaying quite such a love of ordered arrangement last time I met him. Elaine, then?? Or a joint effort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The baby blanket it incredible!!!! I absolutely love it!!! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. niiiice blanket! lurv your work!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.