Friday, July 18, 2008

Hot, hazy and humid

I went to the 68th floor of a bank building today. It could have been a stunning view of the city and the lake, but we could barely see the CN Tower.

The forecast is for rain, thunderstorms, temperatures and humidity to knock you out, and muck like that.

Knitting continues in a sort of sluggish fashion. A sock could well be the limit.

And now I have learned about the Afghans for Afghans campaign for clothing and blankets for children for the upcoming winter. I can hardly imagine the upcoming winter, but this gives me an excuse to use up some single 50g balls of sock yarn. I could probably provide socks for a large number of children with my single balls!

I am determined to finish Basalt before embarking on anything else, and there are lacy shawl patterns bookmarked all over the place, but I will certainly take these children's socks on my week's holiday this August.

Now I'm off for a glass of ice water.

Which reminds me... Yesterday I stopped off in a Second Cup coffee shop for a Chillatte, which is a blended ice and coffee drink. And then I checked some stats, and found some amazing things. A chillatte has 293 calories, more than a Tim Horton's Boston cream donut! But, a Second Cup skinny chocolate chiller has... (drum roll, please!) 433 calories and 82 grams of sugar! It's called skinny because it has only 2 g of fat, but you won't be skinny for long drinking those when all you need is a cool drink. We all know what a 50 gram ball of yarn looks like, but I can't quite picture 82 grams of sugar... (But of course, the internet tells us everything, so now I can tell you that "According to GourmetSleuth.com, one gram of granulated sugar is about 1/4 teaspoon, so about four grams of sugar would be in a teaspoon." Which means that 80 grams of sugar would be in 20 teaspoons. Holy cow!

Right, now, off to the kitchen tap for my fat-free, sugar-free and cost-free glass of water!

2 comments:

  1. Humdity: aargh, poor you! And those calorie counts are outrageous. Hope the weather becomes more comfortable soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This view is fantastic.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.