Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Things for Afghanistan & the fate of the Rockpool

Thanks to these folks, I can drop off items at a LYS and they will get picked up and delivered to afghans for Afghans. Deadline is next week, so I'm working on that.

I will send them my two Baby Surprise Jackets (darn, one still needs buttons!) and several angora hats, wee size. I am working on another green one, which might end up with a red stripe, depending on how the yarn lasts. The white one might just go to a baby I know here. (Next time I'll brush the crumbs off the couch before taking pictures!)

These hats are soooo cute. Tiny, because that's what's wanted, and so warm! Put your hand in an angora hat, and you'll know it's going to keep a wee baby's head warm because your hand starts to sweat!

I tried this Adrienne Vittadini pattern with the Rockpool yarn, and got frustrated early on by a little one-stitch twist up the side of the cable. It was an organisational problem more than anything else: you have to zig on the left and zag on the right, but instead of giving you two charts, they just say, "Start at row 1 here and row 5 there," and before you know it you are .... messing up! I also might just have realised that I don't really want to knit a big thing! Hmm, perhaps another baby hat would be the way to go....


Right now I'm trying this yarn on a hexagon from the Basalt tank in Knitting Nature. (Thank heaven for errata!) As you can see, I'm not very far along. I'm not sure such a top would look okay on me, but it is so cool! I've seen a lot with half-hexagons at the side, but I would do the whole hexagons. We shall see. I'll finish my first piece and .... what, hold it up to my body? Dunno, but it's fun so far.

And now I just have to wait patiently for my new VK to arrive. I've seen it in the grocery store already, but my sub copy has not come yet.

1 comment:

  1. How did you learn to knit? I need some formal/informal training, not just me reading a book and trying not to tie my fingers together. Are there classes out there? Or is this something my mother should have started teaching me when I was five?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.