Thursday, September 11, 2008

Nice people and a brilliant movie, all for free

As I emerged from my shower this morning, I got a phone call from a friend telling me to check my local Freecycle group, as there was a ticket available for a 12 noon film at the Film Festival.

It all worked very well: the movie looked like something I would enjoy; the person giving away the ticket lived near me; the kids both stay at school for lunch today; I had time to stop at the library, have a snack and get to the theatre in plenty of time. Yahoo.

I got there early, I thought. But the ticket-holders' line was already very long! So first I thought I was being a dork for getting there too early, only to realize what a naive newbie I was to not know just how many people get there really early. Can't win...

Anyways, I was lucky to be in line beside a little concrete wall, so I could sit and knit! And, the woman next to me pulled out her beautiful blue socks and we knitted and chatted for half an hour before the line started to move. Very pleasant... I ran out of this 1980s Bed-&-Breakfast-pink wool/acrylic blend just as the lights were dimming. (It will likely end up as a square in a blanket.)

The movie itself was a load of fun. Funny and clever (too clever, say some) and nice to look at. The acting was very good, and the steampunk aspects of the whole thing tickled my fancy. Some of the costumes were cleverly timeless, and although there's a Lamborghini in the film, there's also a steam train. And lots of good explosions.

A fun day, but now I must tend to my dirty laundry and dishes. Funny how that happens, eh?

1 comment:

  1. Blowed em up real good? Sound like fun and free to boot.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.