Saturday, November 27, 2010

What I did last night

Last night I went to my friend's house and sat around and chatted, and most people did not stuff their faces with cookies. I did wonder as I put about 4 dozen cookies on a plate for 6 women...

Aside from the really nice conversation and interesting histories which we got into, it was a very fine thing to sit comfortably and just knit round and round on a sock. (I've taken up carrying the second tiger sock around with me, and progress is being made!) Must do all these things more often!

There used to be a bit of a tradition in the neighbourhood for women to get together at someone's house for what they called "Mama Sans." Sans, as I'm sure you all know, is French for without, so it was a time for moms to be without kids, without spouses, without a care in the world, and the few I attended in the golden olden days of 10 years ago were really open and inviting and friendly and super fun, but I haven't heard of one for a few years.

One neighbour and I were moaning at each other on a street corner a while back about the daily grind, and decided we needed a similar pick-me-up, and that led to this little affair last night.

Now another plan for 2011 is to revive the big Mama Sans tradition and get nights like this happening more often, with more people! I think the problem often is finding not only a moment, but also a house -- I would not really be sans if my kids were coming down to eat all the snacks and my husband was yakking with someone in the kitchen.... though that would all be fun, too!

I must say that my house has silted up terribly, and the books, knitting, toys, discarded mail (and the occasional sock that the laundress misses) are getting overwhelming. Stay tuned for boastful posts about how one can actually see the floor, and then we'll be all set for entertaining!

Oh, and this is me with my new hair. I can use "product" and make it all stand up, or I can jam my hat on my head and make it all lie flat. I think for the next few months, it'll tend towards flat!

Boy, do I look like my sisters...

5 comments:

  1. Love the hair !
    'Mama sans' evenings sound brilliant. Hope they pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous new hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to find a coffee shop or wine bar in the area. Then you don't even have to clean. 'silted up' I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the haircut looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. like the haircut !!! I definitely urge you to go towards the 'flatter' look. It suits your face nicely :) Pretty ! (Oh, and I love the glasses too !!!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.