Friday, November 26, 2010

Yay, it's Friday

Today I'm going to get my hair cut. Maybe not quite like Emma Watson's, but one never knows. Then I am going to do a bunch of stuff, and then, I am going to dig a supply of cookies out of the freezer and go to a Moms' Night In. I hope it will not be quite like Penny's, on the Big Bang Theory, but one never knows.

I have the ginger snaps, which are old family favourites from the Joy of Cooking; the "light brown brownies," which I think some people call Blondies; the super chocolate cookies from the new Martha Stewart magazine; plain ol' chocolate chip; and some jam thumbprint cookies from Martha, which I just made yesterday.

Martha and her cookies, I dunno. The chocolate ones are good, but I cut out a ton of chocolate from her recipe. I also made some for which I had to "finely chop" crystallized ginger, which was no picnic. They didn't even taste all that gingery when I was done, either! I didn't save them, but let the kids eat them, and I didn't spend the extra time making lemon icing for them, either. That surely would have made them more flavourful, but it didn't seem worth the fuss.

Yesterday's thumbprints were also a bit too much work for a very meh cookie. Tons of butter, sugar, an egg and flour. That's it! I put a splash of vanilla in, and I ran out of white flour so they are a tad healthy with a cup of whole wheat flour. My first big sigh was when I decided to use my electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar. I never do this; I just use a wooden spoon, or big plastic spoon that looks like a wooden spoon! I was supposed to beat for 3 or 4 minutes, according to the recipe, but after 30 seconds my beaters were all jammed up with butter (Hmm, all jammed up with butter?? You know what I mean) so I reverted to the spoon anyways! Is it possible to do this somehow without clogging things up? The butter was room temperature.

So, next step: make balls, squish them a bit to make a dip. Melt jam... When I first did this, I followed Martha's instructions and melted the jam on the stove, then carefully filled the dips in the cookies. I had two kinds of jam, and so for the second flavour, I put it in the microwave, because it seemed like a good idea. And now I know why the instructions said to do it on the stove! Exploded pineapple jam all over the microwave is not a pleasant thing! Another big sigh.

The cookies are okay... How can one go wrong with all that butter and sugar? But they have no zing.


Pretty, but not worth a second go, I'd say!

I hope there will be knitting as well as cookies tonight. One woman made a lovely sweater, and another saw it and dashed out to buy the yarn. I think is this Garter Stitch Jacket. Now this second one is almost finished, but there are little issues she needs resolved.

Oh, the exciting life I lead, trying to resolve knitting issues and eating cookies! (I took two exercise videos out of the library! It's exhausting just watching them.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has trouble creaming butter and sugar. I always blame it on forgetting to bring the butter to room temp, but maybe it is just inherently impossible.

    Maybe the thumbprint cookies need lemon zest for zing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think cookies and knitting sounds like the perfect way to spend the evening!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.