Saturday, April 16, 2016

Just about the craziest hat

I knit a hat. I wonder if anyone will ever wear it out in public.


Grey plain ol' wool for some ribbing, then we alternate that and some golden/green/yellow/black eyelash fuzz.


Perfectly reasonable.


Not everybody thinks so.



A thing you should know before attempting this yourself: the eyelash yarn works better from one direction than it does from the other. I discovered this by working it from the wrong end. The threads bunched up weirdly around the needles instead of flowing smoothly along. Of course, once I figured this out I was well into it, and the thought of ripping this stuff out was too horrible to contemplate. 


Another thing that would be useful in planning your eyelash fuzz hat: the fuzz mainly goes to the purl side of the fabric. The ball band says to knit this on something like 7mm needles, and since I was also using DK wool, I was using 4mms. That might have had something to do with it; it might be more flowy on bigger needles. I just turned the hat inside-out when I was done. 

The "right" side
The "wrong" side

We seem to be past wool-hat weather here for this year. I think I'll try to photograph as many people as possible wearing this, and we'll see what happens come November.

2 comments:

  1. The first picture does look a bit odd, but I think the hat being worn is quite spiffy! Worth the effort, I think.
    Any sunshine yet? We are up to 20 in the afternoons. Love from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks a lot like the silhouette of a fur trimmed hat you might see further north on Bathurst!

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtreimel

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.