Monday, August 21, 2017

A small setback

I'm making a stole from a vintage pattern. It, of course, says this pattern can only be made with the one particular yarn, but I am such a daredevil that I am not using some vintage fuzzy blend, but sock yarn bought on my southern Ontario trip last month, in the Confused Hydrangea colourway, no less.

The pattern is totally simple: uneven number of stitches, knit one, then yo, k2tog all across the row. Every single row for 5 and a half feet (or so). I believe this results in something called faggotting.

After a foot or so, I made a mistake! I was supposed to knit 2 together, but I missed the yo of the previous row. A gaping hole in my holey fabric!


Since I am very clever and an experienced knitter, I thought I could just drop that couple of stitches down and pick them back up again correctly.

First step, put in a lifeline, so that if all goes completely awry, it will only do so to a certain point!

It's always good to put the lifeline in across a straight line, not on a slant... ahem.


Here we have the tangle which resulted when I dropped the stitches down.


At this point I stopped documenting this project, because there was just cursing and despair until I realized I had to frog those few rows down and reknit it all. Since your nice vertical line of knitting is made with yarnovers on every row, some from the left and some from the right, it's very hard to know what strand goes where and when. At least, for me!


All's well that ends well. I'm leaving the lifeline in for a while, to see how fast (or slowly) I am actually knitting. I have a few hours of sitting at an info desk tomorrow, so I imagine I'll get tons done. We shall see.

I have some eclipse pictures to show as well! We didn't get totality here, but it was interesting to watch. I hope to get those up tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.