Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Let's review, shall we?

What about those summer knitting goals?
  1. Finish the Rockpool cardi. By the end of September! yeah, yeah
  2. Finish the pink blotch socks... Well, there's a bit of a problem here. I knit one sock, it didn't fit Arthur, so I knit a somewhat modified Broad Ripple, and that didn't fit either, so I'm pausing for breath. I think the new goal should be "finish a pair of socks!"
  3. Grey lacy gloves for me. I won't be wearing these for months, but I'll finish them! Uh, yeah, I'll get on that.
  4. Use my red and black Stretchwool for a few charity hats. What? Oh, okay....
  5. Here's another thing... I started a pink cotton garter stitch square one day when I went out with some non-knitters and needed something mindless. Now I seem to have made it into a log-cabin-esqe baby blanket, although I know no babies right now.

I finished this! It's about stroller sized. Still not sure about the recipient. I'd send it to Afghans for Afghans, but it's cotton, and they want warm wool, and it's a tad small.

6. Perhaps there's a Kiri in the future, but maybe I'd better finish those 5 things and then check in again! (That link is to a regular blog post with pictures and all; the pdf of the pattern is can be found in the sidebar here.) Ah, not yet!

But I have been busy. Let's see.... I made two baby surprise jackets and actually got the buttons sewn on one of them!

And I worked quite a bit on the big Lopi job, got the second sleeve done. Now I'm stumped at the yoke, so don't hold your breath.

Lucky these were summer goals, which can be kind of vague!

And I'll leave you with a picture of my garden. Last fall we got some little ornamental gourds, which were delightful for a while, but eventually got little rotten spots in them, at which point we tossed them out the front door for squirrel amusement. The squirrels amazed us by chewing them immediately into nothingness... But, this spring, all sorts of cute little green things sprouted in the yard, and we, perhaps foolishly, decided to see what happened....


Obviously, a few seeds escaped the squirrels, and now our front yard is covered in greenitude. Love those tendrils!

1 comment:

  1. draw a circle. (think of it as a bubble)a biggish bubble

    draw another circle (think of it as a bubble too.. a medium one)

    now redraw the circles --making them touch. (now remember they are bubbles) where they touch, they will be flat (and could look like the beginning of snow man, but should be Horizontal, not vertical.

    now add another medium bubble on the other side.

    at first the bubbles have their own walls (the bubbles are sleeve, body sleeve (as you would look at them from top edge of knitting(the stitches on needles!)
    3 rounds, touching.

    where the bubbles touch (underarm) place (or be ready to place) the stitches on holders)
    start at back of sweater, (left) where sleeve joins body. start knitting.

    knit back, sleeve (not under arm stitches) front, sleeve(not under arm stitches)
    (or back, sleeve (not under arm stitches), front, sleeve(not under arm stitches))

    think about what happens to bubbles that touch.. very quickly the wall 'breaks' and the 3 bubbles become 1 bubble..

    that is what is happening to your knitting.

    the outside of sleeves will merge (in a single round) with body.

    you go from 3 bubbles touching each other (as looked at from top/needle) to 1 bubble (or round shape)
    (below, there are some underarm stitches on stitch holders.) but by round 2, you are moving away from them..

    just like a bubble, the edges will decrease If you didn't have a head, you could just continue to decrease and end up with a hat like top (that would cover your face!) but for as sweater, you'll decrease until you reach the neck opening, (and them bind off!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.