Thursday, November 15, 2007

Part 2 of the roundup

As well as making (ahem) Arthur a lovely sweater, I also finished his sock. Now what?

I could indeed make him a matching sock.... I will, really. Soon....













Right. So.

In the spirit of finishing things (except recently worked-on projects) ... I have gone back to the Basalt Tank. It's very nice to knit, now that I have written out the line-by-line instructions.

In the book, there are things like this (I'm paraphrasing here):
Row 1, 3 and 5: Do X
Row 2: Do Y
Rows 4, 8, 12, 16 and 22: Do Z
Rows 6, 10, 14, 18 and 20: Repeat Row 2.
Row 7: Do something else

This is not helpful! So I wrote it all out in order: 1, 2, 3, 4... As you can see in the picture it's mainly stocking stitch with decreases, a bit of garter stitch and a couple of eyelet rows, so it's not difficult, but it is nice to know what's going on without looking all over the page for the instructions for a particular row. This is my bedtime knitting and so doesn't progress that quickly, but that's okay! Summer is some months away still!

And then, oh my, what is this?? I did go out and get Victorian Lace Today! I started a scarf in some sale-bin cashmere/wool blend. (This is practice for my bigger project with Pixie's yarn; what the heck am I going to do with a red cashmere scarf?) I jumped in with a gorgeous scarf (like this one) with a big border, but got halfway through one repeat of the pattern and decided I'd be better off with a pattern with those boring purl rows, instead of that one with a stocking-stitch pattern, a garter-stitch pattern, yarnovers at the start of rows and pattern knitting on both sides! (You can see lots of beautiful examples from this book at the KAL site.) I really like working on this, and am sorry the picture is so flashy. It's really lovely!

Of course, there are other half-done projects lying around the house, but these are just the most thrilling ones for you!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the plain wrong side. I'll do knit the knits and purl the purls, but otherwise, my life at the moment doesn't allow for the kind of extended concentration those more comples laces require. Just something relaaaaxing

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.