Sunday, April 14, 2013

Colonnade progress

I am not knitting the prescribed three rows a day; I have gone for days without knitting anything, and then when I do sit down to knit, I have trouble stopping. I recalculated what I have to do and made it simpler: to finish the yarn I have for this project in April, I have to knit two balls a week.

Oh, no, I can't possibly do that!

And then I knit up a ball in one day.

And then I rested my arm a bit.

And then I realized if I kept going as planned, my circular needle would explode. The pattern increases eight stitches every two rows.


Now I have almost 400 stitches on it and can't comfortably jam any more on. So I will add the rest of the length on sideways -- Elizabeth Zimmermann says not to have a big old long bind-off edge on a shawl anyways!


In keeping with the Colonnade theme, I thought I wanted something architectural and solid rather than lacy and delicate. I had one edging in mind which had garter stitch diamonds, but then I thought I'd just continue the lines of the shawl with these crazy fringes.


Cast on; knit a tiny bit; cast off. Four hundred stitches' worth I have to do this! I am crazy indeed. I think the ridiculous nature of this will keep me from over-working my arm!


When that green runs out I will continue in the navy. I also have tidbits of the other colours which I can fit in somewhere. I figure I should use about 3 or 4 balls of navy for this, meaning I will have a couple left over. 

I will get so bored with casting on and casting off, and surely I shall never finish!


1 comment:

  1. wow! you have given yourself quite the project!!
    you've made such great progress already, "you can do it!!"

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.