Monday, April 21, 2008

Log cabin, Gee's Bend, donated Anny Blatt wool

A couple of weeks ago, I got an e-mail offering some "wool" for our charity project. I was leary, because people do tend to dump crap yarn when they get an opportunity! But, this was no crap! Seven balls of Anny Blatt 100% wool, gorgeous colours. (Though somewhat dated when seen all together, I must note. Funny how certain colour combinations remind one of certain eras.) This came together with the other very decent yarn which inspired the Disco Queen jacket.

It just so happened that I had a book out of the library about the Gee's Bend quilters, specifically Mary Lee Bendolph. (I especially love this one; it looks like books on shelves.)

Other knitters have admired the Gee's Bend quilts, and have done something about it. Here's Kay admiring a quilt; here she knits another. Kay tends to keep her lines straight, though! Luckily, there are all sorts of knitters around, including people who will knit garter stitch squares that don't end up straight! The secret: short rows. Nona even wrote a tutorial on the whole wonky square issue!

So, when I see a picture like this...

I can sorta knit it!


I think this is a quarter of a baby blanket, but it might end up a sixth. Too garish? Would a baby in Zimbabwe appreciate it -- well, yes, they would like a nice colourful wool blanket, but maybe only a kooky knitter who admires not-straight-line quilts would really love it...

And this is the next piece. The quilter has log-cabinned clockwise, and knitting can only go counter-clockwise, I think, so I will fudge, but the whole thing is fudging, really, isn't it? Onward and upward and wonky!

2 comments:

  1. I love it. And it's not fudging, it's creative license!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a baby ANY where would love this blanket! It's bright and something to look at when the parents have plopped them in the crib just when the baby *won't* take a nap. Oh, I wish I could knit like you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.