Friday, May 25, 2012

Rhubarb and asparagus

I cooked two more things out of Jamie At Home last night. I have not yet got in the habit of taking pictures while cooking, though!

I made the asparagus soup.

My asparagus was local and fresh, and looked like tree trunks. Not the delicate little stuff, for some reason! Maybe I am too used to seeing the stuff imported from Peru in December!

The soup is really easy to make: chop up some veg, add some stock, cook. Puree. Toast bread, poach egg. Done. And it was really good! My eggs weren't runny enough, but that's my fault, not the recipe's. Definitely I would make this again.

For dessert we had rhubarb crumble. Arthur preferred the crumble to the fool I made the other day, but I liked the fool better. This recipe calls for "2 pieces of stem ginger, chopped," which is about as vague as you can get! I used one piece I thought was as big as 2 little ones. 

Now, I see that word "stem." I just used ginger, or as one could say, ginger root. "Stem ginger" seems to mean that it is in syrup. Crazy. I've seen crystallized ginger, and love it, but don't think I've seen the stuff in syrup. 

That would make a difference, I tell you! Now I must seek it out. A quest!

In knitting-related news, today is the Textile Museum's sale of fabric and yarn and all good stuff, so we'll see what happens there.

1 comment:

  1. My mom's homegrown asparagus stalks are mutant tree trunks also... it's the weather.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.