Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A cool thing I found

I came across this on Pinterest the other day: a sky scarf.

You gather some blue, grey and white yarns, and each day for a whole year, you knit a garter ridge in the colour of the sky (although more research on Ravelry shows that some people throw in pink or yellow on occasion, and some people keep track of moods rather than skies).

You'd have to pick a time of day to choose your colour, I think, since some mornings are clear blue and their afternoons are grey and thundery! The pattern does call for mixing two strands, so I guess you could do clear blue and grey together.

White for snowfall, or just for white sky? Should one have a wonderful pink, just for those days when one sees a great sunset?

Although this just involves 2 rows a day, I have a few wee things to get out of the way before I jump in. I think it would be fun, simple and a cool way to chart progress through the year. Maybe I will chart 2012.

This picture, by the way, is from the project page of the designer, leafcutter, on Ravelry. You can see it much better on Flickr.

5 comments:

  1. That sounds a fun project and a good way of using up bits of yarn as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun idea!
    it's like taking a core sample from a glacier, but in knit form!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a brilliantly simple, simply brilliant idea. Mind you, not sure what I'd do about those wintery days where I both set off and come home in the dark. Actually, I could throw in some glitter yarn against deep blue for starry nights...

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea - you could do any time of day. Or you could do a landscape scarf, or...off to check yarn stash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, I might have a go at that next year.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.