Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Dog

This is the movie I saw yesterday. It's a doc about the real-life story behind Dog Day Afternoon, and so much more.

 

Lucky for me, there are clips of Dog Day Afternoon on YouTube, so I wasn't going in complete ignorance, because I was 15 when it came out and I never got around to watching it when I got older.

This guy, who calls himself the Dog, did a few crazy things in his life, but his main accomplishment was screwing up a bank robbery so badly that someone made a movie about it, and that was his claim to fame all the rest of his life.

The whole story is wild. Nice wife and two children; gay sex in the army in Vietnam; the whole Greenwich Village scene in the late 60s and early 70s; marrying men long before gay marriage was an issue; bank robbery; prison; infamy; cancer....

I wouldn't have chosen this movie if I'd picked my own tickets at TIFF this year, but I'm glad I ended up with it. Today, Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.