Thursday, September 17, 2020

How time flies

Well, what has been happening? 

I have started a sweater for me, but can't get into it. So I am knitting little things with odd balls of yarn. I find things around the house: not only balls of yarn but half-finished sweaters and piles of squares for blankets and all sorts of things. 

Here's a sample of recent knits:

A scarf made in brioche stitch which is very soft and squishy but which eats wool like crazy. This is apparently all the worsted-weight yarn I have, so a nice, scarf-sized thing instead of a cushy wrap.


This Noro Kureyon was left over from my springtime sweater. It's a good pattern but I had to add the cuff and lengthen it to cover my ears. 


This is something called a LOSY hat. LOSY stands for left-over sock yarn. You hold two yarns together and knit on 4 or 4.5 mm needles and use up lots of bits! Another hat I would lengthen for myself. Maybe I just have a big head!


In other news: I went to the optometrist today and have ordered a new pair of glasses. Très chic, I say. You can see them in a couple of weeks. My retinas and ocular nerves are very healthy, thanks for asking. 

I got a new cookbook, and unlike with most cookbooks, I mean to make every single recipe! It's the Moosewood Restaurant Favorites. Tonight's dessert was Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookies. Pretty darn chocolatey, with 1/4 cup of cream cheese in with the butter. I haven't quite figured out if that adds anything, but it doesn't hurt. 

This week I've been going to what I call the "old-lady exercise class." Of course it is outdoors so I am not sure how long we can continue. We go to a piece of the park next to the daycare playground, so sometimes there are leaf-blowers and sometimes there are sad two-year-olds and sometimes there are garbage trucks. We use wands, or long sticks, to push and pull. My wand was holding up beans in the garden till last week. One woman uses her blind husband's white cane; I am not sure if he just stays home while she is at class or what! Anyways, it is a bit fun and gets us stretching and what-not so that is good. 

The other day I made it up the hill to Spadina House, which has great gardens. I especially wanted to go there in the spring when the chestnut trees were in flower. Finally they opened sometime recently, so I popped in the other day. 


Phew, there's your round-up!

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't sure if the sweater was too small or if you just didn't feel like knitting it. Like the lengthened hat.
    The image of you "old ladies" with your wands was a bit comical, but good for you.
    Only three more sleeps to go. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.