Sunday, September 25, 2005

A couple more post boxes!

Well, I forgot to take pictures last night when we met some old friends of friends, we have done no new exciting travelling, and the knitting today is just the same as it was a few days ago (though I had a brainwave about the denim: I won't have to worry about the pieces fitting together after the shrinking if I knit the blanket all in one piece! Duh!) so I am falling back on pillar boxes for blog fodder.

I am hot on the trail of another cool wall box, but I think these are the last two pictures in my collection that you haven't seen.

This first is Elaine with the two pillar boxes in the market. One is George VI and one is Elizabeth II. You can see that the later designers allowed a bigger slot for the envelopes!

And our last Scottish box. This is in Oban, where we were switching from ferry to bus on our return from Mull. For some reason this George VI is very short!

A while ago I asked why a pillar box on Mull would have the crown but no royal cipher. No one gets the fame and glory of having got the right answer. And that is, that you can't talk about Elizabeth II in a country that had no Elizabeth I. You might remember Elizabeth I had some difficulty with Mary Queen of Scots!

I got this info from here.

"When pillarboxes containing the cipher EIIR were erected in Scotland, some found this unacceptable, arguing that as there had never been a Queen Elizabeth of Scotland, this cipher was inaccurate.
After some boxes were blown up in protest and others painted with tar, the Post Office relented and Scottish boxes bore the Scottish Crown but no royal cipher."

So I am off to knit my big, one-piece denim blanket, a button band for Stephen's sweater, the pink cotton, and whatever else is in the pile...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.