Thursday, September 15, 2005

More post boxes!

Not more post boxes!
Yes, indeed!
Now, I just take pictures of post boxes and like to see them, but I'm not a nut about them, really! The people who know all about them are here. And here. And here. And probably all over the place! And in Bath there's a whole postal museum, which I'll tell you all about if I ever get there!

This one is a wall-mounted Victorian one, at the entrance to Queens' College. You can see a small VR and a crown at the top of it.







This one is on Mull, and as you can see they had to build the wall to install the wall box in! This was taken on the pouring-rain day, so no children would pose with it for scale.





This has got to be one of the most far-flung Victorian post boxes! It is on Iona, the tiny island off the small island of Mull, off the west coast of Scotland! I included the two pictures, to show the lovely decoration on the top, and the knitted garment Elaine is wearing. That would be a mini-not-a-clapper, a bias-knit, dropped-stitch scarf I made after seeing the millions of pictures of the Clapotis. I didn't use the pattern, because I think there were problems of internet access while moving or something. Anyways, there ya go. The Clapotis and the hexagonal Victorian pillar box. What could be better?


And here is Arthur and a VR on Jesus Lane in Cambridge.

And a George V wall box (he just put GR, since there had been no postboxes when previous Georges were king -- at least that's my theory). This was taken when we were on our way to a museum in Cambridge... Classical Archeology? Anyways, it was closed!

We're almost done with my collection of postal paraphanalia, honest. I can slip the last few in later and you'll hardly notice.

On another note, we are planning for the school holiday at the end of October. I guess everyone in the whole country can go on holiday at the same time... We're thinking Salisbury. There's Stonehenge nearby, another big fancy church, countryside, a town with things to do if it rains... post boxes, almost certainly... Not sure how many train changes we'd have to put up with... Anyways, I was in the library looking at their amazing collection of guide books, and there was a book on the shelf that was not a paperback Let's Go, Lonely Planet, or Level Guide, or whatever, but a hardcover picture book, and look at the sweater on the cover! Who wouldn't want to go sit at the seaside in one's Kaffe Fassett masterpiece?

4 comments:

  1. Frankly, I love postboxes! The world cannot have too many -- certainly Britain can't. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary!
    Sue sent me the link to your blog yesterday.
    While I can't say I'm an avid reader of knitting blogs, (I get an overload of knitting culture from Sue), it was great to get updated on your adventure.
    I have to say I'm insanely jealous as I've always wanted to do something like this with the family. If we could only be so important that someone wants us to come to England for a year.
    Things are the same at Palmerston, George is in Mr. Doolittle's JK and loving it.
    I envy your daily freedom in a new country and being able to explore new places on a regular basis (trips to Vermont Square and Urban Annex Coffee only hold interest for so long).
    Anyhow, take care and have fun, I look forward to following your escapades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you'll love Salsbury. fabulous cathedral there. xxoomm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - just found your blog - I love the postbox pics - I'm in Cambridge too (well, Trumpington, just to the South).

    Anne

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.