Monday, January 05, 2009

First hat of the year

I recently noticed a bunch of asymmetric neck warmers on Ravelry. Cool looking, oh, so easy, and good for using up small quantities of yarn! So I cast on, 8 mm needles, 2 strands of Lana Grossa Luna I once got on sale, something like 25 stitches. Knit till it is the right length, sew together asymmetrically. Yeah, but it was SO tickly you couldn't wear it around your neck without going mad. So, I un-sewed it, ripped it back a row or two, sewed it together straight, picked up stitches around the top and finished it like a hat. Ta da, a hat!


It will go in the charity pile, I think. It's nice and warm and snug, but no one around here is in need of a hat. Or a neck-warmer, probably!

Oh, and if by chance you are going to an inaugural ball, you can check here to see what dresses the others are wearing. That way, you will know not to get the exact same one! Phew, disaster averted! Of course, the way to really ensure you have the only one is to knit your own...

3 comments:

  1. Nice hat. Only 2 more for your hat trick! I'm working on my second hat trick with hats 4 and 5 on the needles. I did a bright beret from Baby Beanies (but upsized for an 8yo), a Thorpe from some long ago Rowan chunky print, and a Noro silk garden ribbed hat. I actually knit most of them while watching hockey (NHL on TV and my kids at various rinks). I have a Foliage in a lovely green Auricania worsted and another kid size beret going. My 14yo son has been asking for a Hello Yarn (?) pirate beanie for awhile. Maybe that can be #3 for hat trick #2. Then I need to finish up some socks, start some socks, and finish up a few more projects so I can retrieve some needles. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One down two to go! I'd better check and see if my ball gown is listed......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Mary and the same to your darling knitting pirate too...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.