Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Thinking about the Noro cardigan

Now that I have my striping Noro yarn, and my resolution to make a sweater out of it, I am reminded of why I haven't done this before... Those stripes kinda annoy me!

If I make a top-down raglan -- which is simple, not much sewing, sizing easy to figure out -- I'll have a yoke of narrow stripes that go all the way round, then a bit wider stripes on the body, also the same all round, and really wide stripes on the sleeves, and those likely won't match. I think it'll look odd.


If I make it in bits, I can mismatch things with a bit of planning, and even do the Rosedale thing of sticking a block in somewhere to break up the stripes. More work, likely more to my taste when done.

Do I make it with patterned raglan sleeves, like this sweater that started this whole train of thought?

What if I do a bit of a chevron stitch to give some movement to the stripes -- would that make the sleeves ridiculously fiddly to attach to the body? Should I do the whole thing in the same slightly chevrony stitch?


And the big question, to which I already know the answer: Do I really have to make a proper swatch? Can't I just make it up as I go along?






















Right. I'll keep going for a bit!

2 comments:

  1. Right...ahhh, the mystery of lovely Noro yarn...one cannot resist the colours, then you have to figure out what to do with it...lol! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done top down raglans with Kuryeon, where I worked from several balls to make the stripes a litte more similar. If I can find it, I'll send you a pic of my top down set in sleeve kureyon that worked out great. Some day I'll finish the pattern. And the wig - Nerdtastic.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.