Saturday, October 27, 2007

October goals and successes

I'm doing this a bit early, because I am just wishing November 1st would hurry up and arrive. More on that in a mo.

I had two projects for October, the pseudo-Jack pullover and the Slytherin Jaywalkers, both for Arthur! And both are proceeding well, but not as quickly as one would like.

The sweater is a really nice thing to work on: not fiddly, 4.5 mm needles, so progress is visible, lovely cotton yarn in a great colour. I've got the body and half a sleeve done. I could indeed finish this by the end of October, if I put my mind to it, and I'd really like to do that!

Arthur refused to drape himself in the pieces, so you'll just have imagine sweater bits, and enjoy the sock.

So much for Socktoberfest!


The reason I am eager for November 1 is that then I am going to New York! I am going to meet Pixie (read all about it here!) and a bunch of other moms of 10-year-olds! Plus I want to go out on the Brooklyn Bridge, see the Chrysler Building, do a spot of shopping, see a museum or two, and just wander around. I am staying at a hovel in Greenwich Village, which promises to be interesting.

Now, not only am a wondering what knitting to take (carry-on acceptable, not fussy) but I also need a book. Any recommendations for things to read in New York? I need the Manhattan of books.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mary..gasp! do U get to go to N.Y. sans kids?? hope U have a great time! look forward to the pictures.. >nm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up right across the river in NJ and lived and worked in Manhattan for years. (just to show you I have some credentials!) Here's my two top ideas for books:
    Time and Again - Jack Finney
    A Winter's Tale - Mark Helprin

    A Winter's Tale might be a bit physically hefty, but Time and Again is a fun read, full of photos of old new york. Something to keep in mind when you see all the Disneyfication...

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book? No, no, no... this is the perfect opportunity to pick up a couple of trashy magazines at the airport and enjoy your time without kids! Hopefully you'll be so busy in New York that you won't even have time to pick up a book. Have fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. any room, in any get together, for another knitter? I do live in NYC--and i m just a half hour away by subway.. (and i know where all the yarns are...!)

    (i have a gmail link in the about section of my blog.. you can drop me an note)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.