Sunday, October 14, 2007

Put this on my Christmas list

I once told you that I often look at the Daily Photo sites. I don't do it as much these days, but I always look in on London, London Nature and Paris. These three are always good, often amazing! There are a ton more! And Cambridge has one, but the last time I'd looked, things were sparse. Ho, ho, the reason for that has now been revealed: the author has been busy with reprinting The Night Climbers of Cambridge.

One of the things that we liked to think of as we strolled about in Cambridge was climbing the buildings.

Poor old Henry VIII lost his sceptre some time ago and has been holding a chair leg ever since. Who did that? Someone who climbed up there!

There are funny little spikes up high here and there, and they're useless for pigeons, but would be good at deterring an undergrad, and were perhaps installed because of the folks (I think all men) who wrote this book. They climbed the towers of King's College Chapel and can be called experts in their chosen field.

I like the very clever naughtiness of it all -- I wonder if they worked as hard at other things! In any case, I shall keep my eye out for the book on this side of The Pond. (Stephen says he once saw this book for sale in an used bookshop in Cambridge; it was an original edition and a couple of hundred pounds!)

3 comments:

  1. oh, when I was at DAMTP they made us go on the roof of KC Chapel. I was shaking like a scared little girl the WHOLE time! it was embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, how come no one took me to the roof!? I like going up things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, excellent! I saw a copy of the book in a window of one of the shops in St Edward's Passage and didn't dare ask the price.

    When I lived in St Albans there was a very sad, tired, worn-out-looking teddy lashed to the television aerial of a local pub.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.