Friday, December 28, 2007

More cooking excellence

For some reason, knitters like to share their other domestic triumphs on their blogs. This season we've had recipes, and cookies and buns and other miracles of the culinary arts. My turn, now. (Scary picture of dirty oven to follow!)

On Christmas I thought I would bake onions, following this recipe I found in my heap of recipes. But then, around 4:30 pm, I read the thing carefully and realised that I can't cook a chicken at 350 F and onions for an hour and 40 minutes at 400 F! So, heck, we'll have the onions another day.

Yesterday, I put them in the pyrex dish, brushed with olive oil, sprinkled artfully with salt and pepper, put the whole thing in a hot oven. Then, a while later came the time to add the broth. I was a tad nervous, and added it slowly, and it bubbled, and I put it back in the oven, and... it exploded.

I hope to bring you these delicious-sounding onions another day, in another pan, with perhaps another whole way of doing things. Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. We had an exploding baked potato Christmas day - such a lovely fragrance, burnt tater. Better luck with the next batch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Oh, how disappointing for you. Hope it didn't take too long to clean up afterwards...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm..Wondering if a physicist can unravel that one so to speak...Pyrex, water, heat, issues etc. I've done similar loads of times but perhaps never done 'add the water' part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, noooo!!! Was the stock hot, or cold? The best baked onions I've ever done are from a Jamie Oliver book ("happy days with the naked chef", I think) and were darned good. But they included bacon and cream amongst other things, so really *ought* to be good.

    We exploded an aubergine in the oven once; we were trying to make Baba Ganoush. I remember it well; I happened to be looking in the right direction at the time, and it actually blew the oven door open (briefly; it closed again under its own weight/spring).

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.