Wednesday, March 02, 2011

About these socks

I have been carrying on for some time about these Embossed Leaves socks. I started them last summer, thinking I would make them for my mom, but I was seduced by this dark and mysterious yarn, when I should have chosen some nice limey, minty, bright green (all Ravelry links). I soon came to my senses, a bit, and made my mom bright pink socks instead, and these have been hanging around since then.


I like the yarn, but it seems a bit much to knit this pattern in this dark, dark, slightly fuzzy yarn. You can't really see the leaves, so why not just knit plain socks? 

Or some lacy shawl -- because we all need 17 million shawls!

I also have some teeny reservations about the pattern. I usually make socks for Arthur, and I usually use 2.25 mm needles, or even 2 mm, on 72 stitches. These are only 64 stitches on 2.75 mm needles. Are these going to Arthur; should I give them to my mom... Who will wear them and how big should they be? The length is, of course, adjustable, but it would be awkward to finish in the wrong place on the leaf!

So, what to do? I figure these are my choices:
  1. Frog, with no idea what to do with the yarn right now. Put the yarn away and get on with life.
  2. Keep going. Just knit the damn socks.
  3. Frog, decide to make something different with the yarn, and jump right in.
  4. Turn them into mitts or some crazy-pants scheme like that.
Looks to me like I am going with #1. But of course, since I don't have a new plan for the yarn, perhaps I should just take them off my To Do list and leave them as is. You never know what I will think next time I look at them! 

Argh!

I did already start my March/April socks: an old (or should I say, vintage) pattern called Cable and Bar. It's a 6-row repeat, but one row is very plain, one row has the cable and the cute P1, sl 1 pattern, and the other 4 are all the same, pretty plain and a bit of ribbing. I am not sure how long the colour stripe will stay on the P1 sl 1 row, but it looks good when it does!


I got a few rows done on the black shawl the other day, while playing Scrabble and riding the bus. The rows are getting really long, yet they still have to get quite a bit longer! I am keen to see how this thing is going to work out!

Oh, if I have one less pair of socks to worry about, I will feel much better!

1 comment:

  1. i totally read option #4 wrong and though you were going to make mittens or crazy-pants.
    tee hee. i vote you make crazy-pants!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.