Thursday, October 03, 2019

The big thing

One of the must-see things in Cambridge is the King's College Chapel. It is stunning, I must say. Stephen, with his magic university card, left the lab early yesterday and we had a bit of a tour around.

Right by the front door was an exhibit of Chinese calligraphy. I'm not sure why, but there are tons of Chinese tourists in Cambridge these days. This was big and bold, but I have no idea what it says or why it was there...


It's a long narrow building, huge stained glass windows all around, and the ceiling is a marvel of art and engineering. (You can always click on the pictures for the big view.)




Peekaboo!
There is a side-chapel with the names of people who died in the first and second world wars.


I liked these little round inserts. Behind is someone's office, so those are the weird shapes you can see. Once again, I'm not sure of the significance of these, but I like them.

I think this says Justicia above her head. Maybe that is wishful thinking. There's a sword, a blindfold and a dead monster at her feet.


Let's all have lunch?


Very important meeting.


I know this one! That's Eve, she's got something in her hand, Adam's going, "What are you doing?" and God is looking down on it all.


And then we just have two women, one with a very impressive pen and one with a sword.


Sometimes I do wish I'd learned more about this Christianity business, since it is everywhere...

This, however, is politics! Rose and fleur de lys, crowns, shields and a dragon. Long live the king.


The outside is perhaps even more impressive!



No tour would be complete without the Victorian post box outside the front gates of the college.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.