Thursday, March 17, 2022

It's raining

It is spring here, sorta. Right now it is pouring rain out and I am debating whether I can avoid going for a long walk just because of the weather. I really should go out for a long walk because I am finally going to England in May for the walk I booked for 2020! When I went in May 2019 I had months to practise and get up to speed, so to speak. Now I have eight weeks. At least I can pass some time blogging and put off the horrible decision for a while. 

I am not that keen, actually, on my retro party cookbook. I looked at a meatball recipe but it made 120 meatballs, and we are only two here now. Lots of recipes make, well, party quantities, and in fact make things that are more suited to a party than to my present lifestyle. 

I did make a shrimp and avocado salad, halving the recipe. Marinate some shrimp in lemon, vinegar, oil, garlic and so on. They wanted "three medium onions" in the original recipe; I used half of one and it was still a lot. Shortly before serving, make another bowl of cut-up avocado and pour some of the marinade on that for an hour or so. Serve it all on lettuce. 

It was tasty and the shrimp were actually nice and plump and fresh. It was good, but was it better than taking cooked shrimp and pouring salad dressing on? Maybe. I at least can remember that it is a thing one can do; I could spice it up a bit more next time. Three or four stars, I'd say. 

I'm not sure what my next recipe will be. There are retro things that would indeed be fun to serve for guests, but will I have the opportunity? Let's see. Still two weeks to go on this project. 

My other project this month is the photo theme, that I have done nothing about. City Hall... If it would just stop raining... I could walk there! I will. One day. 

In actual knitting news I abandoned the mitten when we went to Victoria, and made some dishrags on that trip. When we came back I took up with the blanket again and that is going well. 


I think all the colours are blending the way I thought they would. It started out a big hodge-podge but I think it'll be good. I am about halfway through the yarn, so I guess I'm about halfway through the blanket. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.