Sunday, May 01, 2022

Off to a good start, I think

I was a little bit worried about my May photo theme, Environmental Trash. However, first thing this morning I was on my way to volunteer for the film festival and saw these shiny, bright, bouncy helium-filled mylar balloons. 

They were discarded by the side of the road, abandoned and alone. They were blowing around in the breeze, making it hard to get a photo. 

It had clearly been someone's 80th birthday, a milestone for sure! Their friends gave them something pretty, something shiny, something actually completely useless. 

These balloons never biodegrade and aren't recyclable. They are terrible for wildlife and can mess up power lines if they escape and fly away. Totally fitting for my theme of the month. 



As if that weren't enough, on my way home from my volunteering shift, I walked up a lane and came across this: 


a small, toy drone. Someone undoubtedly crashed it and gave it up. Or, who knows, maybe they were just running around the neighbourhood trying to find where it had landed! It probably has a battery in it, unless someone had come along and taken it out. 

Unfortunately, there seems to be lots of trash around. 

I also saw a few masks discarded here and there. I have heard of someone in Vancouver who started picking them up and counting them, and had found over 30,000 in the pandemic. That's a lot of trash. I hope I don't resort to showing you pictures of discarded masks over this month. But I am a bit more hopeful that this could be pretty interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.