Thursday, June 02, 2022

Back on track in June

May's cook book was Small Plates Perfect Wines, and June's will be Nantucket Open-House Cookbook. 

I made a couple of things from May's book and think it is a keeper. One just needs to plan and think a bit, because these recipes are not necessarily quick and carefree. If you don't have crabmeat or radicchio on hand, you'll need to pop out to the shops. 

The other day I made Grilled Eggplant and Tomatoes, which is just what it says. Cut long thin eggplants into strips (I just cut them in half longwise but I could have done thirds.) and grill on the barbecue. Then cut tomatoes and grill them. Make a dressing with oil, balsamic vinegar, capers, orange zest; throw some fresh basil over it all. Nice! I also made a flank steak from this book... I did not, however, have the presence of mind to blog it earlier. As I recall, it was fine. This book goes back on the shelf! 

June's books is one of those that I've had forever, know a couple of tried and true recipes in, and rarely look at the rest. It is more of a party, entertaining, slightly fancy-pants recipe book. I think it will be great for June because there are lots of meal-sized salads. 

May's photo theme was Environmental Trash, and if I hadn't gone to England I imagine I could have kept that up. I did get a few interesting moments with that theme. June's theme is Feet. 

As you may have noticed I put my feet into photos quite often, so the trick will be to take my feet to interesting places, I guess. 

We'll be in a bit of a tizzy here for a week or so while we get Elaine settled in her new digs, Stephen goes to the UK and comes back again and we contemplate our future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.