Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Book swap package!

Once upon a time, I took part in a book and bookmark swap. I had fun finding a pre-1960 book with a knitting reference in it, and greatly enjoyed finding pink beads for my partner, which I probably wouldn't have bought for myself, but which were, if I do say so myself, very lovely!

And now, thanks to the joint efforts of the Royal Mail and Canada Post and some camels and sloths, I bet, I got my package!


The book is I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith, which I know nothing about, and which, I hear, has no knitting in it! But I am assured that it seems like the characters should be knitting, and they probably are, but we're just not told. I look forward to reading this! The bookmark is a shimmery fabric one -- it looks very complicated to li'l old me, layers of fabric held together in some magic way.

My swap partner was Katie, who is master of many crafts!

She made buttons (the pin kind, not the sew-on kind) of old paper pictures, and envelopes (not cards, as I had first thought) made from pages of old kids' books! You can see the beautiful fronts, and the backs with flaps. There are stickers to address them, but I think these might get used for secret correspondence, tucked into gifts or other such things.

Let's see, what next?! A skein of Rowanspun DK, just what I needed! I started thinking of a shawl last night, and got out my white Rowanspun, and another bit of dk wool that turned out to be not quite right. Now with this, another 200 meters of the same yarn, I am happy as can be. (We'll talk later of the wisdom of even thinking of starting this project before finishing the 274 projects in line ahead of it...) A book of Rowan patterns for felted bags, slippers and so on. A bar of lavender and wildflower soap. And a card of the painting of Katie in her studio that you see in her blog's banner!

Thank you so much, Katie, for the wonderful package, and Zoe, for organising this swap!

Oops, forgot to mention the chocolate! You can see its opened and crumpled wrapper in the picture! Delicious milk chocolate!

2 comments:

  1. I read I capture the castle a few years ago - great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the feeling that the sloths had rather a lot to do with the delivery of that lovely package. Katie's right:the characters in I Capture the Castle would certainly knit!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.