Thursday, August 14, 2008

Cottage country

I've lived in Toronto for many years now, but still am uneasy about what happens when one goes beyond the end of the subway line. This weekend, if we don't fall off the map as we pass the last station, we are heading off to the shores of Lake Huron, for sun and sand.

Ha! We are packing sweaters and raincoats, as well as a beach towel or two.

I need car knitting and beach knitting and simple knitting!


I'll take the rainbow sock (I started the heel on the second one the other day in the park) and my (ahem) new project of the weaver's wool mini-shawl.


This is what I will use my Rowanspun for. I notice in the instructions we need 350 yards of dk weight yarn, but 6.5 mm needles. Well, I am not using such gigantic needles, so maybe my mini shawl will be even more mini than most. Oh well.

As you can see, it is very mini right now.

Will I come back next week with a finished sock and more of a shawl?? Who can tell?

I'm not used to beaches without tides, having grown up on the west coast. What's the point of a sandcastle if the tide won't come in and fill your moat, and then wreck your castle!? Perhaps we'll learn.

1 comment:

  1. Now you are heading to my neck of the woods. I grew up on the shores of Lake Huron, though a little farther south than that, just a few miles inland from Grand Bend. If you get down the way at all, take the kids to the drivein movie theatre (http://www.starlitedriveintheatre.com/GrandBend.html) or the Huron County Playhouse (http://www.draytonentertainment.com/theatre_information/huroncountryplayhouse/). Or just find a sandy beach and relax!!

    The water still laps in a bit, but we used to build channels of water to come and undermine our sandcastles until they caved in. Or dug holes until the water welled up from the bottom. And I personally think the lake smells better than the ocean!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.