Sunday, August 10, 2008

Wow, I heard this at 4 am

This morning at 4, a blast of air came in our window and rattled our heavy venetian blinds. We leapt out of bed, thinking those scary thoughts that come into your brain when you are jerked awake by loud noises at 4 am.

There were thunderous booms, and after I realised the tree had not fallen on our house, I assumed we were in for another thunderstorm. But, no hail, no rain, no more wind after that first blast.

And the thunder was weird, too! Just distant thumps, and lots of them. And, hey, lots of sirens, too, which we don't usually hear. Something seemed to be exploding. We live near the train tracks and remembered the accident that once occurred on them. We got up and looked outside but could see nothing.

So, this morning we learn there was a fire at a propane depot, about 5 miles from here, as the crow flies. It sure made a heck of a noise! The news report says there have been injuries, but no details. I bet there will be lots more coverage of this story!

Wait, there's more here!

And of course, there's video on YouTube.


And you know I don't like to post without a picture and I don't have pictures of fireballs, so here's my "things I'm working on/thinking about" pile by the side of the bed.

It only looks like there have been explosions here!

Don't you love my old Coleman cooler I rescued from the trash? It's full of sock yarn.

Knit on, with no more explosions!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're all OK; and weirdly I have an identical Coleman cooler. One day my former in-laws may want it back, but for the moment it's the best cooler I've ever seen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you explained the cooler. I have one just like it that I use for actual cooling, can't imagine why it would ever need to be thrown away and turned into a yarn bin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I thought the pic was post-blast!!!! -- kt

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.