Friday, February 11, 2011

Back to our regular programming

Ah, the furnace is new and shiny and working! There might be a water-heater issue, and there's sure to be an air-conditioning issue, but I think that mainly we are done with that business.
old furnace. Ick.
new furnace. Nice!
The day I spent at my friend's house, I knit on the witchy shawl. I now have about 150 stitches across the top, and I have 3 more balls of the basic black yarn, so I should end up with a pretty nice big triangle!


I'm not sure why that grey pattern bit went so wonky.


I'm pretty sure I followed the pattern for the stitch, except for making it gartery instead of stockingy. But it definitely wants to slant. Huh.

Yesterday was cotton blanket day, and I didn't get much more than one corner done. But I only need to do a tiny bit more before all the squares are done and it just needs to be sewn together and edged somehow. La de da, just a wee bit of finishing, shouldn't take long(er than a month or three).


Today is Noro cardigan day, but it is also grocery day and teach-Arthur's-class-to-knit day, so I'm not hopeful that much will get done. The weekend is a free-for-all, knitting-wise, so I might finish knitting the blanket, or I might do more on the shawl, or on the Waving Lace socks.

Oh, socks!

For some obscure historical reason, I am on a mailing list for the Textile Museum, and the latest newsletter had a wee mention of a sock workshop (scroll down) with Lucy Neatby! I have looked at her shawls and scarves, but never paid attention to her socks... and they are not your standard socks. Of course, I have e-mailed for registration info!

I hope to have both the Waving Lace and some Embossed Leaves done by the end of February. (This sounded so reasonable at the beginning of January, but now seems absurd.)

I mean to learn to do toe-up socks, and thought I would try that out before going to this workshop. Yeah, and I also thought, "Wouldn't it be nice to wear a scarf designed by her; I have a pattern!" Oh, Mary, get a grip!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with all your ambition! The shawl looks great. Was that stitch pattern not intended for triangles? Or does it slant even when you adjust for growth at the edges?

    I am attempting socks on DPNs. I am swearing a lot but trying to keep going long enough to see if it gets better. Maybe someday I can make the holey socks for the girl who's feet are always hot. (I did a practice sock with Magic Loop toe up and it went well except for a horrible looking short-row heel. But if I want to ML on sock yarn I need to invest in some smaller needles and I can't decide if I will really want them. And which of the 3 or 4 possible sizes to get. And so on.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay new furnace!

    and oooooh! i forgot how much i adore that mitered square blanket!! it's fab-oh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing not to love about the mitered square blanket is the thought of all that sewing up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief, it looks enormous! Are furnaces normally that size?!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.