Thursday, May 06, 2021

A sock with roots

Despite my last post, this has nothing to do with redness. 

Someone I follow on Instagram is doing a thing... a pop-up art show in an old-growth forest in BC. And she wants socks to hang on a line. Well, how could I say no? Luckily I have a basket full of socks with holes in which no longer fit anyone. She wanted plain coloured ones, which was a bit of a challenge, but I did find one. 


I knitted some roots dangling out the bottom of the hole, since darning this was not going to be much fun. I used Habu silk stainless steel yarn so the pieces can be shaped and twisted, but then I put beads on the ends so that weight sort of counteracts any other shaping. 


I did leave a "tap root" which can stick out here or there. 



There was a tiny hole in the top. How to finish that off? Since I was working with a small bag of miscellaneous beads instead of the gazillions of beads I have elsewhere in the house, I found a hot pink bead with an S on it, and it was Stephen's birthday, so -- problem solved. 

Sometime this summer, my sock will be a part of something exciting!

1 comment:

  1. Diane Andersson31/05/2021, 10:48

    Thought I'd surprise you with a comment. Interesting sock. Looks a bit like a boy. : - ) I wonder if the forest person will have pictures of the project. Of course, not being a social media person, I might not find them.
    From June 1, I have my paintings on display. at the library for 2 months!
    In your pictures a bit ago, there was a flag at half mast, and I just wondered what that was for?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.