Sunday, December 05, 2021

Black and white and stuff

I see that Blogger has changed something, and now loads the pictures in the opposite order to what I wanted. What's with that? 

Anyways, I will do a minimum of fussing about, and just show you things in reverse time order! I tried to take pictures of things with neutral colours for Project Spectrum.

This morning I went out to the east side of town to an Egyptian restaurant with a couple of friends. I didn't take pictures of my eggs and tomatoes, but it was very good. Here is a spiced coffee latte.  

Last Friday I went downtown, to the Textile Museum and to the shop in the Art Gallery of Ontario, to see if there was anything there that struck me as a good Christmas present. I has moderate success, and also managed to buy some yarn at the Textile Museum that I now have to secretly and swiftly knit up.

This is a new statue outside the AGO. It's a bit more than life-size, imposing. Just a Black guy standing there. He's big, but not threatening, not heroic, not looking at you. Just being there. I like it. 


My first stop on Friday was the Textile Museum, where they are showing work by Jagdeep Raina. Some of it is painting, some textiles, some mixed-media. I loved this goat on woven black cloth. 

This is a painted quilt called Where the Sun Sets over Toxic Factory Smog. Lots of this month's neutral colours, with that line of green across the middle. 


The Textile Museum has free admission till the end of the year, and the AGO is free with my Vancouver Art Gallery membership, so I should do more museum going in the next little while. 

Christmas is coming, of course. We had thought we'd have some vegetarian friends at dinner, but they have decided to have their own wee family dinner, so we have gone super-carnivore and are planning on Beef Wellington. That will be a new thing for us, but it seems to be pretty straightforward: buy a nice piece of meat, cook some mushrooms, wrap it all up in puff-pastry. I suppose I can make a trip to the nice butcher shop! 

1 comment:

  1. I haven’t been in Ontario for years, but I would absolutely love to visit the Textile Museum some time! It looks like they have some amazing exhibits, and I’m sure I’d spend a bunch at the shop’

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.