Saturday, February 12, 2022

Lovely beef chili

My cousin came for dinner the other day and I made Hell's Kitchen Chili from the New Basics book. I have been making it for some years, as it is nice and simple and pretty tasty. As someone once said to a part-time vegetarian, "All dead cow and no farty beans." 

You cook an onion and some spices, then add more oil and brown the meat (my grocery didn't have stewing beef so I cut up some eye-of-the-round steaks), add a can of tomatoes and some tomato paste, some stock (I had leftover chicken in the fridge, so used that) and some back bacon or regular bacon or turkey bacon. They also want a tablespoon of sugar, but the only sugar I have around here is some packets lifted from coffee shops, so I put one of those in. I also threw in a bit of leftover rice, since I didn't have bread to go with it. Simmer it for around two hours. 

I even have a picture this time: 

Very inspiring, innit? 

We added sour cream and chopped green onions and corn chips, had a salad and a bottle of wine. My cousin's husband has recently retired and acquired an ice cream maker, so we had strawberry frozen yogurt with fresh fruit on top for dessert. Yum-o-la. 

I'll sort through some pictures and make another bicycle post soon. I am finding bicycle signage more interesting that bikes themselves! Perhaps one day I'll take pictures of spokes and handlebars, but I haven't done that yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.