Wednesday, February 23, 2022

A secret thing, a cookbook round-up and more

A while ago, someone posted photos on a neighbourhood group, showing this amazing stump carving in Stanley Park. It's called the Two Spirits sculpture. They gave vague directions, and of course since it was a neighbourhood group on Facebook there was lots of squabbling about whether one should share the secret or not. It's not really that much of a secret; it's mentioned in Wikipedia, after all

It is actually quite close to one of the big trails in the woods. Turn right at the stump, cross the boggy bit, and here you are: 


It is huge and very impressive. 



There are meant to be two faces. Did the right-hand one suffer some damage, I wonder, or am I missing something? 


Someone painted some of it at one time. This is not part of the original work, but I like it! Vandalism or more art?


Nature's painting...


We take our leave. 


On our way out through the park we came across this amazing camellia. It stopped us in our tracks, I tell you!


Later this week we are taking a bit of a trip to Vancouver Island and points west, so I had to return the New Basics to the library. When we get back it will be March, and on to a new cookbook! 

I don't think I told you about the rice and beets salad I made, which was excellent. I used shallots instead of red onions and green onions instead of chives, and didn't use any red peppers. The dressing is really good and I do enjoy beets. So all around great! The book is certainly staying on my shelf; Stephen and I both liked everything and there are tons more recipes I'd like to try. 

Next month's book is Parties for all Seasons, a Culinary Arts Institute book from 1976 that I picked up somewhere. It's cute and kitschy but I'm not sure how useful it will turn out to be. There seems to be about five versions of blue cheese dip or dressing; must investigate more thoroughly. 

There will also be a new photo theme! More on that later.

I probably won't take my laptop with me, and I never did learn to blog on my phone, so I won't be around here for a bit. You can always find me on Instagram, where I am @square.mary

See you in March!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.