Saturday, April 08, 2006

Finished socks and hat

The orange socks are done. They are a bit snug, but softened up in the wash and will probably do fine. The other alternative was to rip out the last few inches of each foot to make them fit Elaine, but since she says knitted socks are itchy (!) I think I'll just let Arthur squeeze into them. I have started on another pair of socks, which I guess will be my train knitting next week when we go off to Wales.

In my quest for holiday knitting, I thought of a hat with some of my charity shop tweed, but when I cast on with it yesterday, it made everyone sniffle and snorf. So I decided it wouldn't do on a train and I took it out to the playground with Anne, and then secretly knit on it upstairs when no one was looking, and actually finished the dang hat in one day. It'll join the pink baby hat in the charity pile; it's a tad large for Arthur. Definitely socks for the train....

Next week we are off to Llandudno and Harlech. We've given up on cathedrals and are starting in earnest on castles. I think we will be computer free, so if you don't see anything new here for a few days, don't be alarmed!


Or perhaps I should say, "Don't worry; be happy."

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mary - What fun that you're headed to Llandudno! The first time I was there I was struck by how similar the beach promenade was to the one in Nice, France. Only since it is generally colder in Wales you don't see too many topless women on Llandudno beach!

    If the weather is good you should go up the Great Orme. If you have time you should also try to make it to Conwy (just a few miles away) and tour the Conwy castle ruins and explore the city walls. The little town has an award winning butcher and cheese shop and just down the hill in the center of town is a cute little toy shop. Also fun to tour is Plas Mawr, an old manor house in the middle of town.

    Charles and I enjoy having a fish& chip or sarnie lunch on the quay with a beer from the Liverpool Arms watching the birds and boats. You can get a cheap breakfast or lunch at The Clement restaurant in the middle of town. Alfredo's Restaurant is good for standard Italian fare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I dunno. That hat looks just about Arthur's style to me! We missed you on Wednesday; do have fun in Wales, and we look forwards to having you back once the kidlings are back in school.

    Just had a good giggle at the thought of going topless in Llandudno, btw. The two concepts seem somehow hopelessly at odds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe me, *I* won't be going topless in Llandudno. But there'll be cameras at the ready, just in case... The kids are taking shovels, so we'll dig a windbreak.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.