Sunday, April 09, 2006

What is this?

I'm just packing the last-minute things (how many juice boxes does a family of 4 need for a day of train rides?) and Stephen says, "Ask your readers what these are before we go."

Therefore and herewith, you have a week to come up with a plausible explanation of these metal, spiky, downward-pointing thingies in the corners of old buildings. These are on the side of the Gonville and Caius library in Cambridge. We've also seen them in Bath. Apparently they can have upward spikes as well, but this one has lost those. Obviously they aren't for stopping people from climbing the buildings, and they aren't for tying up your horse. Well, I don't think they're for tying up your horse. Nor do they keep birds away.

Since contests seem to be all the rage, I'll make this a contest and offer some yarn to the winner. Maybe to the sensible winner who can actually tell me what they are, and to the, you know, best explanation...

See you April 17 or so!

5 comments:

  1. I think they're for holding hay,for feeding aforementioned horses ! Really ! I'm pretty sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm with emma. That's what I was going to say. I've made a brand new blog. Come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to walk or cycle past there almost daily for 17 years, and never worked them out.
    It now looks to me as though they are there to stick into the neck of anyone venturing into the manhole below.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the gov't put those things up to prevent dogs, er maybe people from peeing in the corners.

    enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are scientifically designed icicle creation devices. You see, when it is very cold and there is snow and/or rain, the water drips down the spikes creating long, beautiful icicles for all to admire. The library staff searched long and hard to find an blacksmith who could make these because their creation is a dying art. The reason why they are so close to the ground? So that small children (who admire icicles more than adults) will not suffer muscle strain or other cervical injuries from craning their necks upwards.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.