Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Basalt Q&A

When last we spoke, there were some questions raised. Let me set some things straight.

Anonymous, or Anne as we call her, wondered about the side hexagons, and said, "Could you turn them in to 1/2 hexagons so that the bottom edge is even?"

Short answer: No.

People have made this with 1/2 hexagons there, but those people had their moment of panic before jumping off the cliff. This top is knit hex by hex, and stitches are picked up from hex 1 to make the edge of hex 2, etc. The low side bits are numbers 2 and 3, so I would have to rip out everything I've done back to the very first central hexagon, and then redo it. No way, Jose.

Besides, I kind of like the whole hexagonality of the whole thing. I just think it looks a bit dumpy on me right now... When I get those dang straps knit, it'll all hang much better, fer sure.

And Rosie perhaps went in the opposite direction by saying, "were I about 30 years younger I might be tempted to add stuffing to the lower hexs in a rather Vivienne Westwood-ish way!"

Vivienne Westwood
, apparently, can make anything. Check out this dress! Her new collection looks like this. She and Malcolm McLaren had a shop on the King's Road and sold ripped up clothes to punks 30 years ago. However, although I have a stuffed-hip image hazily in my mind, I can't find just the picture I want. I will do my best to think of Vivienne Westwood while finishing this, though.

And Mary Lou said, "Thanks for the reminder that i have about 12 balls of that in my stash in a lovely sagey green...NOT for chaircovers, though."

Oh, dear, no! I will not make chair covers out of 2 balls of Cotton Angora! No, indeed. We need sturdier stuff, I imagine. My chair cover idea has been dumbed down so that I am now considering squares with ties to cover up the icky seats on the dining room chairs. You'll be the first to know when the idea becomes a WIP!

And I'd love to see your sagey green yarn in action!

Now, we can't have a post without a photo, so I will tell you about my cooking adventures! I got the latest Jamie Oliver book from the library, and the photos are fabuloso! We want to make everything... So yesterday Arthur and I made the Blackberry and Apple Pie.

Well, first we decided not to make our own crust. I find pie crust rather intimidating, and always fall back on store-bought in the end.

Then the recipe calls for ginger in syrup. Well, what the heck is that? So we used a scrap of fresh ginger.

And our blackberries were in terrible shape, so I used a handful of raspberries as well. So we ended up with a very loose approximation of a Jamie Oliver pie.

We bought vanilla frozen yogurt to put on top, but then invited The Moth Man and Kentish KT over to help us eat it, and The MM made us custard (with no skin or lumps!).

Ta da!

2 comments:

  1. Ginger in syrup, is, er, ginger in syrup. Chunks of stem ginger, preserved in sugar syrup. Maybe it's an English thing. Delia likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to like the au naturel hex basalt with the uneven edges at the bottom..it sort of looks like medieval armour ..maybe a matching helmet is in order next? perhaps knitted with recycled extension cords or something..

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.