Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Someone said to flash the stash

Remember in the olden days of blogging, April 1 was Flash your Stash day? I did it in 2006, when I was in England, and I am totally freaked out to see that I still some of that yarn!

I found a thread on Ravelry the other day about flashing the stash, and aside from the arguments about whether it should be done in April or now, it was quite cool to see everyone's displays!

I got the idea that one should have "before" and "after" pictures, so, here's my "before."

That is a king-size bed. Click to embiggen the picture -- in the front is the sock yarn, in the upper left is the denim, in between is the Felted Tweed , to the right is miscellaneous stuff of all weights and amounts.


Some of the sock yarn, which I almost forgot because I keep it in a separate place, not the closet!

As you see, I will not even half this by making 5 or 6 or 7 pairs of socks!

The denim. This pile should be quite reduced by the end of the year if I manage to make my gansey!

I don't have too many sweater-lots of yarn, but I do have enough to keep me going for a long time!

A pair of socks uses up one ball of 100g, and takes {ahem} a week or two or a month. A lace shawl would take a long time, and use up one or two of those balls on the bed. A sweater takes up 10 or 20 balls of yarn and could keep me amused for anywhere from a month to a year!

So how does one calculate how much knitting one has stored up in one's stash? Or is this just a silly question....

All I know is that I have enough yarn for now, and hope to have maybe a single bed's worth at the end of the year!

4 comments:

  1. I think if you were going to figure out how much knitting you have in relation to how much yarn you have I think that you should figure out how many yards of yarn you knit in a certain amout of time. But that would be a lot of math, and won't make you ever want to knit again, so I don't advise it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't do anything but admire it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! i like mary lou's advice!

    i say don't calculate - just dive in and go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a vague idea about trying to keep the items in my "active" stash on Ravelry below 100 - which I'm just about managing. But some of those items are 100g of sock yarn, others are 15 balls of something!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.