Monday, September 24, 2018

Muffin Monday in the fall

It is now officially the autumn, or fall, or Indian summer. The temperatures here have dropped away from summer, practically overnight... but this is not a weather blog!

Nor is it a baking blog just yet, but today is Muffin Monday so let's talk about muffins.

Before I went to California I bought a litre of buttermilk. It sat in the fridge for a week and then when I came back I looked for a way to use a lot of it at once. I could have made a few batches of Choco-Wheat Germ muffins, but I decided to make a "refrigerator batch" of bran muffins. This recipe makes about 3 dozen muffins, but you can keep the batter in your fridge for a couple of weeks, just spooning out what you need when friends pop by or for a special breakfast.

Oh, hello, let me just pop these muffins in the oven

I got sick of having a large bowl of batter in my fridge in a couple of days! It takes up a lot of room!

But the muffins were good and I now have a couple of dozen in the freezer.

For your information:
Moist Bran Muffins by Joan and Marilyn

1 cup shortening or margarine
2 cups white sugar (or 1/2 cup molasses and 1.25 cups of sugar)
2 cups natural bran
4 eggs
3 cups buttermilk
1 Tbsp baking powder
3.75 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking soda
1/2 cup hot water

In a very large bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
Stir in bran, eggs, buttermilk, baking powder and flour.
Dissolve soda in hot water, pour on top of first mixture.
After one minute, mix together.
Cover and keep cool in fridge for 24 hours before baking.
Batter will keep up to two weeks in fridge.

Tip: Add one cup or more of cut-up dates or raisins or currants or prunes.

Bake at 375° F for 20-25 minutes. Makes 3 dozen muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.