Monday, September 17, 2018

Three pictures or maybe more

I was so sure I would get a ton of knitting done on this last trip.

Here we have the "before" picture. This is what I took to the airport Wednesday morning.


And this is the state at the end of that first flight. Not bad!


After a few days, I had not much more, but I got to the LA airport many, many hours early for my flight and knit and knit. When I got on the plane, I put the knitting away and tried to sleep!


So it is not finished, but I had a really good time in LA and Venice Beach.

I stayed one night in Silver Lake, which was really just a base for one night and I didn't really know why that's a cool neighbourhood. The next day we went to Sherman Oaks for a Saori weaving class. Now that is a nice neighbourhood!

I made this!


The piece is rather larger than that, and you can see more of it, plus our happy faces, on the instagram of the weaving instructor. I suppose I could take more pictures of it myself, but now this is the only one I have!

A few Uber rides later, and we were out in Venice Beach. We rented a house on a canal! There were originally a large number of these canals when Venice was first developed, but they were mostly filled in for paved streets for cars. There are 4 or 5 "blocks" surrounded by canals.


Nice reflections on a morning walk.


Palm trees everywhere.


We went to the beach. One of those dots in the water is our New Zealand friend swimming.


You're never too old to notice the pretty boys on the beach.


We went into lots of shops.


I got a tattoo with my friend.


On our last day, we had to be out of the house at 11, and could keep our bags there till 1pm. My plane wasn't until 10 pm! There were 7 of us, and after 1 pm, we broke into two groups. Some with early flights went to the airport while three of us went to Santa Monica and had a nice lunch, which we strung out as long as we could. The others had big rolling suitcases so it wasn't practical to go for a walk at all,  but we saw the beach and then went off to the airport around 3 or 4 pm.


I had plenty of time to play with my photo collage app on my phone.


The many flamingos of Venice:


I flew through the night and got in to Toronto at 6 am Sunday. Ugh, I'll take care to avoid the red-eye in future! I got in so early that the subway wasn't running, and I didn't have much cash left, so I took the UP Express train most of the way home and then picked up a bike-share and rode home as the sun was coming up! 


Ta-da, that's my California adventure!

3 comments:

  1. So, was this a girls' trip? Are the tattoos real or temporary? Looks like a lot of fun, whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there, I was there........it was the best of times.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.