Tuesday, April 23, 2019

British Columbia in the spring, with knitting

I found myself back in Castlegar over the long weekend. I took lots of pictures of family, and a few pictures of the great outdoors.

One day some of us went for a walk over a restored old bridge, and up into the woods. I had to quickly text a picture of these flowers to my sister-in-law, who told me they are called Avalanche Lilies. There were great swaths of them at some points along the path.


The Kootenay River.


Pretty blue sky. It seems like we haven't seen that in ages! In another couple of weeks the trees will be leafy and green.


Another day, we walked along the shore of the Arrow Lake on a rail trail. It was nice to be by the water, in the woods. Some of us were meant to be training up for our big walk in May, and I was wearing my new boots, but we didn't go up any big hills! I guess I'll just have to find a hill around here to walk up.


I took my crazy pink scarf I've been working on. I see that I haven't actually reported in about this before. It was sort of a palate cleanser after I finished my big grey shawl and it seemed to be a small project, but it has taken some time and, of course, has grown. It's not quite finished, but I'll give you some teasers!

We start out small, indeed. Increase one stitch every other row, then cast off 10 and start increasing again.


Throw in some leftover bits of sock yarn.


Oh, add some texture because it's a bit boring. Diagonals to help the viewer notice the shape!


A big chunk of diagonal eyelets. I should have ssk'd but I k2tog'd, so the diagonal lines are not quite what they could be.


After a while, start reversing the shaping, decreasing one stitch every other row, and then suddenly casting on some more.


I have a tiny bit of the pink left, and I think I will need to throw another odd ball in to get to the final point. I couldn't finish it in all the airport waiting yesterday because I was sure I'd run out of yarn. But I sincerely believe I can get this done tonight, though I may be proved wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.