Saturday, May 04, 2019

Film Festival time again

Oh, so much to do, blogging gets shunted aside...

I am now nearing the end of the Hot Docs film festival. I will list the movies I've seen here, but not try to say too much about them.

  1. Nipawistamasowin: We will stand up. Very interesting, sad in so many ways. 
  2. The Rest. Ai Weiwei continues his look at the refugee crisis in the Mediterranean and Europe.
  3. Kifaru. Continuing with sad, this movie was about the last male Northern White Rhino and the men who looked after him. 
  4. Backstage Action. A look at extras in movies. It's not as glamorous as you might think! This screened with two shorts. 
  5. The Day Don Died. (short) Go, click through the photos till you get to the trailer. So, so good, and despite the title, it was a break from the sad!
  6. Uncaged: A stand-in story. (short) Once upon a time, a guy got a job being Nicolas Cage's stand-in. Brilliant!
  7. Willie. Big hype for this one, Willie O'Ree was the first black player in the NHL and played pro hockey for many years. He came to the screening and the kids loved him. 
  8. Midnight Traveler. A filmmaker and his family flee Afghanistan for Europe. They film the whole journey with their cell phones. 
  9. Searching Eva. Wow. I won tickets to this and probably wouldn't have chosen it, but it was thought-provoking and interesting, about expression and identity and selfies and family. 
  10. Bellingcat: Truth in a post-truth world. Citizen journalism. Google Earth and Facebook can tell you a lot more than you think. Amazing.
  11. Picture Character. How does one get a new emoji added to the keyboard? Are emoji language?!
  12. Supreme Law. A thing made by the National Film Board about the Canadian constitution and how Pierre Trudeau brought it home to Canada. Told in several snippets, with interactive sidebars and further reading. I think this might actually be best enjoyed on the small screen with personal control. Very interesting!
  13. Propaganda: The art of selling lies. Perhaps my favourite! Cave paintings, Nazi rallies, Trump tweets, Baroque art. They are all trying to get you to change your mind. 
  14. Havana, from on high. People live on rooftops, in elevator cars and attics, with a great view of the city, sometimes with not much more. Sometimes with pigeons, or art, or their memories of the glories of the Revolution. 
I hope to see one more movie tomorrow night, which I might just add to this list. 

I also hope to do a quick knitting round-up before I go off on my English walking-holiday adventure, which I've been thinking about for a year! One wonders what life will be like after the trip... How will I spend my time if I don't have to think about the pros and cons of walking poles? Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.