Sunday, May 26, 2019

First stop: Cambridge

Early on in May, I flew to London, got a coach to Cambridge, met some friends, and went to the punting place. All at once, so some of us had our luggage still with us. I said I would sit with the bags, knit my lovely shawl and enjoy the riverside while the others went for a ride.


I then found that I had left my knitting bag on the bus! Two skeins of very nice yarn, and the start of a shawl, plus another skein of nice wool, made up into an almost completed hat! And the cute little bag. And two sets of needles. Not happy.


Well, we had to put that behind us for the moment. 

My friend and I trooped off to find our accommodation: a boat on the river! It was great fun, with rowers going by all weekend, and Stourbridge Common across the way to look at. 


Not only trees, but also cows. They kept us on our toes as every time we looked over, they had moved.


We had portholes! It was not until the second evening that we figured out that those odd circular cushion-things were in fact to plug the portholes at night.


On the Saturday (oh, keeping track of the days got to be quite challenging, but I do know that this was Saturday) we made a quick trip to John Lewis to buy some replacement yarn, then met up with friends for lunch and on to knitting!

We walked past my old bridge... I walked over this daily back in 2005-6! And yes, it was that gloomy and grey a lot of the time.


Knitting in the pub!


And that was it for Cambridge! A lightning visit and on Sunday we went to the new Cambridge North station to start our second leg. I was getting picked up in a car and driven to Liverpool, and my friend Patricia was to take a train to Manchester.

We got to the station and found that everything was stopped for the moment, trains are cancelled -- here, just take this bus to Ely! We literally had a minute to decide, and although I was pretty sure my Liverpool friend could ease the way to Manchester, I hadn't asked before, the bus was leaving, no time to think... and off she went.


I sat around for some time waiting for my lift, and Patricia did eventually make it to Manchester.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.