Friday, September 13, 2019

More movies and the moon

Yesterday was a big day, as it turned out.

I had a lunch date downtown, so that was very nice. My friend works at City Hall.


Then I had a few hours to kill before my movie. Not really enough time to go home, I thought.

I sat in the plaza, but couldn't do that for four hours. I knit the last bit of yarn that I had. I remembered that as a Textile Museum volunteer I could get in to the Art Gallery of Ontario for free!

So I sauntered over there and saw some art.


This is a little sketch for a bigger painting, called Above Lake Superior, which we had a print of in our home when I was growing up. I love those trees!

Ken Thomson liked to collect things, and his collections were donated to the AGO. He sure knew what he liked...


If I were rich, I think I'd collect snuff bottles, too. So wonderful!


I'd seen most of this before, but yesterday I stumbled into a darkened room containing books. He had a book, maybe 4 or 5 inches thick, about the Book of Job, and they knew who the scribe was! Now that's pretty amazing.



There was also something new at the AGO, an infinity room by Yayoi Kusama.


Many silver balls. I would have liked more time in there, but you can only stay for one minute! I guess I could have come back 10 minutes later.

Finally, time to go to the movie.

Stephen came with me and we saw the Cordillera of Dreams by Patricio Guzmán. There was lots of wonderful footage of the Andes: the ice, the rocks, the snow, the sky... and talk with artists who worked in and around the mountains. One of these was another filmmaker, who has filmed riots and protests and police action in Chile for the past 20 or 30 years. Guzmán left Chile after the coup in 1973, and Chilean politics is clearly very important to him and in his work. For me, this was definitely a case of not knowing enough before going into the theatre, and I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had known more about the filmmaker and his work. Interesting, though, for sure.

Well, our day was not over! The film ended shortly before 8, and we hadn't really had dinner. So, a lovely charcuterie platter at a local pub, and then we were off to see the moon.


The Bentway is a park made under our hideous downtown expressway. In the winter they make a skating rink over the paths, but I haven't seen anything else there. Now someone had suspended a giant inflated moon, there are talks and food trucks and tons of people!

And a very nearly full moon in the sky as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated. You can be anonymous, or just use your name, without signing in to anything, though.